Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chicken & Dumplings

I love chicken and dumplings, but this is one dish that took me years to get right. I have experimented with numerous recipes. Several from other people and several of my own. I used to have to eat dumplings at other people's house. I am so glad I can fix them myself, whenever I get the craving.

Ingredients:
*2 bone in, skin on chicken breasts
*3 (14-oz.) cans chicken broth
*3 (14-oz.) cans water (use empty broth cans)
*1/2 T. black pepper
*1 (26-oz.) can cream of chicken

Dumplings:
*2 c. all-purpose flour
*2 tsp. baking powder
*1 tsp.salt
*1/3 c. shortening
*1/2 c. milk

Directions:
*Combine chicken broth, water and black pepper (you don't have to use the pepper if you don't want to) in a large pot. Rinse chicken breasts with water and add to pot. Bring the liquid to boil on high heat then turn down to medium heat. Cook until chicken breasts are done and desired tenderness. I cooked mine about 1 hour 15 minutes. You may end up with a shorter or longer cooking time.
*Prepare dumplings while your chicken is cooking.
*When chicken is done, remove from pot and set aside to cool. Stir in the cream of chicken.

Dumplings:
*Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening and add milk to make a stiff dough.
*Roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into squares or strips. Make sure your soup mixture is simmering (bubbly) and drop the dumplings in one at a time. Cook on medium heat for an hour, stirring often. If they seem to be cooking to fast, turn the heat down.
*While your dumplings are cooking, take the skin off your chicken and tear it off the bone into strips. Stir in your chicken and cook about 15 more minutes.

Broth, Cream of Chicken & Water simmering.


Dumplings, rolled out and cut.


Shredded chicken.


Ready to eat.


Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment