Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Apple Dumplings

I tried these several years ago at a church dinner and they were delicious. Since then several different people have talked about making them and loving them. I have a few recipes, but when I decided to make them I ended up calling my best friend Shawna for her recipe. I fixed them while I was staying at my mom's. We were snowed in and Dewayne was fishing in Florida , where it was warm, sunny and the only state that didn't have snow on the ground.  He enjoyed his vacation with family, they caught a lot of fish, big fish (said it was their best trip yet) and Weston and I enjoyed spedning time with mom and Bige back home in Kentucky. Mom and I cooked and filled our bellies full all week, like I really needed to. I needed to be running up and down their hills and eating rice cakes with lots of water. Anyways, you only need a few ingredients and they are super easy to make. They are unbelievably delicious and just what we needed to warm us up on a cold, snowy day. They are great by themselves, but if you have any vanilla ice cream close by, you have to have a scoop with your warm apple dumplings.  These are most tasty right out of the oven, but we put the leftovers in the fridge and they were still yummy reheated in the microwave.

What you need...
-2 Granny Smith apples, peeled or not peeled (your preference)
-2 cans crescent rolls, (8 in each can)
-1 stick of butter
-1 c. sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 can of Mountain Dew, Sprite or 7-Up

What you do...
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I peeled my apples, but you can leave the peel on if you prefer to do so. After peeling the apples, slice into 16 slices. Lay out and seperate your crescent rolls. Lay 1 slice of apple in each triangle and cover the apple slice, piching the edges together to seal. Place crescent wrapped apple slices in a 13 x 9- inch pan. Melt the butter in microwave and stir in the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla, stir to mix well. Poor the mixture over your apple dumplings, distributing evenly. Pour the can of Mountain Dew (Shawna uses Sprite, just whichever you have on hand or prefer) over top. This wasn't in the recipe, but I raised each dunpling with a fork to make sure the liquid mixtures got underneath each one. I was afraid they may stick. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. I used the coking time from a different recipe and they turned out great for me and for my mother-in-law (who fixed them and loved them too). These are really, really good, can be thrown together really quick and I usually have most of the ingredients on hand. Oh by the way, this picture does not do Apple Dumplings justice. I was in such a hurry to eat mine straight out of the oven, I forgot to take a picture. I took this one the next day after heating them up in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment